As promised, here’s the first sourdough recipe. Some of these I’ve made before, some I haven’t, so you’ll be able to follow me as I journey through these, reviewing as I go.
This cake recipe was a bit of a mixed bag, but with a little tweaking it’s a keeper. I’ll preface this by saying you’ll love this if you love a strong sourdough flavor. Of those who sampled, I had 2 likes, 1 loved, and I liked it very much, but may consider cutting the sourdough by half. (FYI, the rule of thumb for sourdough is to increase baking soda if the sourdough is stronger. In my case, the starter is perfect, I just think there was too much. So I may decrease both the starter and the baking soda amounts).
You’ll notice I didn’t take the “pretty plated slice of cake” photo, but there’s a couple of reasons for this. First, I didn’t have a tube pan, so I used a bunt pan. I don’t know if that would have made a difference, but the glaze didn’t soak in very well, and the glaze recipe makes a generous amount. I ended up turning it into a glass cake plate, then slicing into serving sizes. The glaze covered and soaked in very well with this adjustment. With the pan switching, I got busy and forgot to take the last photo! When I make this again, I’ll bake it in a baking dish with sides so that I can poke some holes in the top, and the glaze with remain self contained.
Recipe from the collection of: Designs by Jeanne R
6 tablespoons butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sourdough starter
1 – 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Grease a tube pan, 8 – 1/2″
3. Mix the dry ingredients together, set aside.
4. Cream together the butter, sugar & egg. Mix in the dry ingredients & starter, alternating with the milk.
5. Pour into the greased pan, bake 30-35 minutes.
6. Remove from oven, cool for a few minutes, then remove from pan & allow to continue cooling.
- Pecan Glaze
3/4 cup light brown sugar
6 tablespoons corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup water
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
1. Combine the brown sugar, corn syrup, salt & water. Cook, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens and boils.
2. Add the butter, stirring until the butter melts and is fully combined.
3. Pour the warm glaze over the sourdough cake.