Thank goodness for weekends, because sometimes my mind & body just needs some time to “be,” to rest, & de-stress. This was one of those Saturdays that just required some good old fashioned R & R. Everyone in the house needed it, my husband declared it, my son & I took a nap (which he never does). Hey, even Mini (our cat) took a break from her “Spicy Mini” persona to cozy herself into her favorite chair. At some basic level, our body just knows what’s best for us. I think now more than ever, we live in a society which requires more from us. We’re constantly plugged-in, tuned-in, multi-tasking or otherwise engaged in a way that takes so much from us. A quote comes to mind;
“I feel thin, sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring That pretty much sums up the week for me! But you know what? I think there are things that all of us can do to get that physical & emotional alignment that we need & crave. Simple things, that may not solve everything, but can keep us on the right track.
- For me, one of those things is having some creative outlets. Cooking sewing, or otherwise creating is literally necessary for my well being!
- I believe that having a positive attitude has a tremendous impact (& you’ll notice this is a common thread in my ramblings, as I truly believe this to be so).
- Being with those who bring out your best self!
- Get some good rest.
- Get some exercise, stretch, take a walk get some fresh air, enjoy nature.
- Take time to appreciate the little things.
- Laugh! Smile!
- Create some ambiance for yourself – light a candle, use the good china, listen to music, prepare a special meal, pamper yourself.
- Get outside yourself & do something for others.
- Breathe. I mean really breathe, inhale & exhale those tensions away.
- Enjoy aroma therapy, a bubble bath, a good book.
So this is by no means a comprehensive list, but it’s a good starting point. Sometimes I think much of what goes into a blog post is meant to be a reminder to ourselves. Enjoy your weekend in all it’s glory! P.S. Relax!